Thursday, March 21, 2013

EARLY PERCEPTIONS OF GOD AND RELIGION


I'm writing my memoirs. It feels quite narcissistic, except for the fact that I believe there are things in my past that my siblings missed out on, that they probably would benefit from knowing, and being 65 and aware of my mortality in new ways every month or so, I am anxious to pass on my memories to my descendants. 
 ***
Being ‘different’ in a society where sameness is emphasized so strongly had its drawbacks. We, as a group of semi-conservative Mennonites were different from the general population—incredibly so to my immature way of thinking—and I couldn’t understand why my mother, who had been raised with such freedom in terms of appearance, entertainment, and general lifestyle, converted into a group where even trimming a woman’s hair was seen as wrong, and the standard patterns for clothing, shared by Amish and Hutterites, with slight variations, included a net ‘covering’ and a heavy black ‘bonnet’ to cover uncut hair, which was pulled off the face and pinned up. Women were not to wear makeup or jewelry—not even a wedding ring—but were given watches in place of engagement rings, by their fiancés.

We were taught Bible stories from an early age. Some of them were exciting and very worthwhile in terms of examples of faith and character. Joseph and Daniel were two of my favorites, and I wondered why I had to be a girl, when it seemed evident that not only Mennonites, but God Himself, preferred males. I reacted to this perception of unfairness by deciding that there really was no difference…my thoughts and opinions were as valid as any boy’s. This led to some physical altercations. When I was about 4, I attempted to beat the truth into a Bluesky boy’s head when he insisted that hands were not called hands, but ‘patties.’ I also had a strong difference of opinion with a boy in Watino who stated that it was more important to be a Christian than a Mennonite. My mother told me I had punched him on stage during some performance, but that memory is lost to me!

Our beliefs were based on a strict literal interpretation of the Bible, mainly focused on the New Testament epistles, and the words of Jesus. One preacher friend we visited often confused me somewhat. He was a powerful speaker, who knew the Bible well, but at home he indulged in a lot of silly talk, and ignored his wife’s struggles to force some cooperation in chores and responsibilities out of their young teen son. The preacher delighted in teasing children. One of his main routines involved a threat that he would put tape on my brother’s chin to prevent him from drooling when he ate. This preacher figured prominently in a nightmare I had. In the dream, I had died, and went up a rough ladder to heaven, which looked a lot like a hayloft in a barn. This preacher was there, roaring and teasing as usual, and angels came by like birds, pecking at me. The latter undoubtedly arose from my misunderstanding of song lyrics, ‘The angels beckon me’ sounded like ‘The angels pecking me’ to my 3 year old ears.

At any rate, my impression of God and religion was that He was watching me with a stern expression on his face, and keeping track of all the things I did that were wrong. And there were many…sexual exploration with a neighbor boy in a tent being the most guilt producing, but also dreams that my second brother had been having a bath in a sink, and went down the drain. Somehow I believed it was my fault. I used to consider my likely punishment before acting, sometimes. (This is probably more common than I realized at the time). I would take a small box of matches into the ice house, where large blocks of ice were stored in sawdust, having been cut out of the river the previous winter.
I’d light a match to watch the flame, and inevitably burn my thumb. One of my parents would notice the blister, and a spanking would ensue. I also felt guilty about my inner rebellion toward rules and punishments that made no sense to me, and about losing toys, being mean to my brothers, and procrastinating when a parent told me to do something, instead of obeying instantly. I somehow had the idea that if I died without having confessed one of my many sins, I would not go to heaven. The alternative was too horrible to contemplate, but impossible to forget.

This guilt has been a lifelong companion, and probably also arises from being raised by parents who believed strongly in correction and punishment, but that complimenting children was likely to make them conceited and unteachable. Even when helping to sort through my parents’ belongings after their deaths, I found essays they had written on this topic. I noticed, however, that they enjoyed compliments themselves, and were hurt or stung when others’ efforts were valued more than their own.

I hasten to add that both my parents made efforts to establish closeness, acknowledged the contributions that their children had made, were proud of us all for one reason or another, and were also products of their imperfect environments.

No comments:

Post a Comment